Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Students Teaching Students







































The teacher's job is to get students started on the right path of the skill to be learned, guide them as they go along, and diagnose each learner's areas of strengths and weaknesses through observation and data analysis.

What is not true is that this type of instruction is impossible with the youth of students in the 5th grade and in a public school at that.

What is true is that this cannot happen without the full cooperation of the students. This requires high-level classroom management skills and is probably why so few teachers even attempt to teach this way. It's much easier to stand in front of the room and lecture. It is safer and "looks" like good teaching.

I guess what one believes becomes that person's reality.

Unfortunately the undeniable reality is that while our state test scores are increasing, our students' higher-level thinking abilities are dropping. As a result, so is our performance on international problem-solving tests (where we are now scoring in the lower 50%). Fewer college graduates are going into math, science and engineering professions while more are going into selling real estate.

And as our gross domestic product dwindles because of this, so does our our standing as a world economic and political power.

The solution is to produce students who can learn to learn, who are responsible for their own learning and know how to think for themselves and problem solve. Independent learners who are unafraid to make mistakes, say "I don't understand", and become leaders right now.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    there are so many pics on this page and it looks so fun but really it was hard work that we did those days

     
  • At 8:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i have my reflection for you right here Mr.Stuart: This year has been so awsome! I can't believe it's gonna be over in 3 days. I'm going to miss Mr. Stuart so much. When I first met him, I had no idea what to think. When people ask me what he's like, my answer is really long. It's because he's so different than anyone I've ever met. He will never take any excuse,ever, not once.Although, he has a great sense of humor.He never expects anything less than marvelous.He is so imaginative, but can be super weird, with all of his funny voices and acts. He loves to make fun of us, but in a good way. He has his own blog, which is: http//samuraiteaching.blogspot.com. I will never forget how messy the classroom was, or my idea of Desk- Buddies, or Bridgets idea to make ' The Office', a help desk. Bridget and I always had such greatv ideas. I will also remember when Bridget and I decided to tell everyone that we were twins, or our love of Webkinz. I will write more later, about our banquet. I'm going to miss this class so much, that I sometimes fell like crying! Oh well, summer sun here I come!

     
  • At 3:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    really good pictures

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket