Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Importance of School?

Thought you guys might like this:

I just asked Brosden and Bella to help me with something, Bella said she was training her internet Webkinz to go to school.

"Yeah, Dad. You always say how important school is." - Brosden

"That's just something we say to get you guys to show up. Now, come upstairs."

And they did. They both laughed, stopped what they were doing, and did what I asked. I think having a sense of humor goes a long way in parenting.

Both mothers will call me up and say, "Talk to your kid. They're not listening."

The bond that is created between two people laughing is at the very least, strong enough to allow me to ask them to listen to their mothers out of simple respect for her. And they will.

Maybe this has less to do with who I am, as oppossed to how I am. Instead of forcing obedience, let it flow from laughter. Instead of demanding respect, let it flow from a respectful heart.

(found these old pictures of Cristina and Sofia having a "no utensils allowed" dinner. When they told me how cool I was, I told them I was just trying to find a way not to have to wash the dishes.)

1 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Taneicea. We miss you and think of you every day. It was a blessing to have you among us. Your courage to face your fears of speaking in front of others, your willingness to risk failure over and over again, has inspired me to name an award after you for the rest of all time. How do I get in touch with you? Where could I find you?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket