Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Becoming Independent Learners

I know it was only a day, but being back with you guys feels great. I really enjoy teaching you. I like that you can't help giving me a hug first thing, Kenny, even before I can finish saying good morning to Sofia.

My trip to Illinois was one of tremendous learning and growth for me. So to come back and discover all the learning you have done in my absence lets me know you are truly becoming independent learners.

A few shining examples of students DOING MORE than just what I had the sub ask you to do in class yesterday: (from the MATH QUIZ on Friday)




Summer - you created a terrific PowerPoint on the questions you missed. You recognize you are a visual learner and create more elaborate presentations than I do.


I have much to learn from you, Graphics Master, and need to figure out how to get these on the blog.

Mahrukh - you used the internet to find websites that showed you different ways to learn how to do the problems you didn't understand.

You are our webmaster, correctly using the web to surf for learning resources.

You are now.............Spider Girl!


Ryan & Briana - you both used the FCAT Explorer to find similar questions to the ones you missed. This is excellent! I see you as Great Thinkers.



Serena - you used a word document to quiz yourself on the ones you missed. This is exactly what I do to help me learn what I don't know. I had great success becoming fluent in Spanish this way, and now am applying it to Italian. We both go with what works for us.

*Remarkably, you got an "A" on the quiz but still chose to learn the little that you didn't know. You are truly unstoppable by making these kinds of "growth" choices. I can't tell you how excited I am to watch your future unfold for you, because YOU are conciously choosing what you want and taking action to make it happen.



Belle - although you got a poor grade on the quiz I wanted to take the time to discuss your real ability to "do" math. Many times being able to "do" math is confused with being able to memorize algorithms, or ways to answer problems correctly without really understanding the problem at all.



This is dangerous "learning" since in the real world you won't be given a set of ways to memorize to solve the problems you'll encounter. Those that thrive are those that can solve problems that others can't. To do this you have to UNDERSTAND the problem fully.





YOU CAN DO THIS! You were the first one to solve a college level math problem, meaning your brain operates very well at higher levels. This also means you CAN learn the simpler 5th grade problems, and I expect you to!!!!!!


I was proud to see how hard all of you worked today. MALCOLM you were definitely MIGHTY in your determination to solve the problems that challenged you. We worked hard together and fused our minds in coming up with the right answers!

Remember to try to think in terms of place value versus "columns" and you'll understand the problems better.



The classroom really became a learning playground today. It was so enjoyable. I'm going to miss you all next year (sniff, sniff, no.....I'm not crying......someone must be cutting up onions... =:-)

Click here to see all the pictures from today.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Comments:

  • At 3:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Today I learned that friction is different in other surfaces because a rug compared to a slick tile surface witch one would go farther and that gravity effects friction because with out gravity there wouldn't be anything holding the object to the ground. i also learned all the math problems i got wrong.

     
  • At 5:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Isn't the relationship between gravity and friction cool?

    I'm confused about what a "witch" has to do with your experiment today. I didn't see a "witch" flying around. You said "witch one". Was there a "witch" two?

    If so, WHICH witch was working worst and would wood cause friction faster?

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    This is something to consider, WITHOUT a doubt!

     
  • At 5:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Today I learned how to add fractions! I am so glad that Mahrukh found that math website it helped me alot and it helped me understand fractions much more clearly. Oh Mr. Stuart I told my friend Rachel about your website and she's going to post a comment!
    Belle

     
  • At 5:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Huh you are so funny Mr. S!
    From,
    Belle

     
  • At 5:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Today was a great example of how nice it is when we bring our talents together to help each other. You do this all the time Belle. As I told you today, as long as you have high self-confidence, you will make an impact on many peoples' lives.

    Tell your friend Rachel to make you stop being such a good student that I get sad thinking of you not being here next year.

    And please ask Nick what "out gravity" is. I mean, WITHOUT gravity, there wouldn't be anything holding objects to the ground. But WITHOUT "out gravity"....he just makes me so confused ;-)

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You look like you sure had fun.
    For the quetons I got wrong I created a PowerPoint!!!
    Esha

     
  • At 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi your website is great.
    Rachel Bella's FRIEND.
    P.S belle and esha gave this to me.

     
  • At 6:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Glad you could visit Rachel. Feel free to stop anytime.

    Esha, what did I tell you about eating in class? If you're going to do it, bring some for me! I'm QUESTIONING what "quetons" are, but if they're anything like the croutons you put on a salad, I suggest you put them on a salad and not the computer.

     
  • At 8:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    what I learned today

    I learned lots of things today like when me and haseeb where playing golf like when you hit the ball the ball gets velocity and nick told me gravity is what lets friction happen.I learned that when the ball bounces off of something newtons first law happenes.In math I learned what a quotient is and malcolm and I study the test and learned math words that we did not know

     
  • At 8:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I learned that when we hit the ball velocity=DiStAnCE AnD SpEeD also occures.Also I learned that gravity is pulling the ball down or else it would be floating up.

     
  • At 8:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I learned that when you hit the ball velocity is ocuuring because velocity = distance times speed also friction is occuring because if there was no friction when I hit it then the ball would start flowting UP.

     
  • At 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WE have learned that magnitism can transfer to objects that can be affected by magnitisem, if you do it right the magnetional can have a stronger pull but if you do it wrong it will have less pull or no pull at all.

    Ryan & Mark

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What I did today was golf with Dalles, Haseeb,and Nick. I learend today, was friction when the rug and the ball meet and the rug slows it down. Veocity is due when Dallas hits the ball and it moves where you hit it or bounce off a object and moves there. Gravity is due when the ball is hitting the floor and stays there and not float up ,also helps it do fricton.

     
  • At 9:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    News From The Front Of the Class
    By: Anonymous



    It’s that time! A class election! Let’s meet our candidates!

    First of all, there’s Serena. She’s one of the country’s top thinkers- and she’s good at fighting for rights! "To Serena, My first student to ever buy my first book. I have a strong feeling you will be first in many things........FIRST FEMALE PRESIDENT???", says Mr.Stuart. Serena and Summer say that school will not be a mess anymore, and that you will get more GOOD music! So will you vote for the First Lady?

    Our next candidate is Bridget, member of the ‘Dream Team’, and editor in chief(s) of ‘Science for Life Magazine’. “Is she a real world changer?”, asks Mr.Stuart. “I will provide longer recess, and yet, a better understanding of things!”, says Bridget. “I will also do experiments!” So will you vote for the World Changer?

    Next we have Dallas, the very crazy (in a good way) student. “He’s a gas molecule.”, says Mr.Stuart. “He’s always up and running around!” I couldn’t catch Dallas, so I guess he will offer a lot of fun experiments and games for the class.

    And Finally, Greasyknees Ryan! I’m pretty sure that he will offer plenty of Science experiments and new game show power points. “Stop Cryin’ And Vote for Ryan.”
    Congress(Below)

    Amanda-Math

    Nick-Science
    Malcolm-Social Studies

    Reading- Unknown THE END

     
  • At 2:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just saying how I feel. I'm kind of sad that there was only one picture of me in the entire post. Just saying.

     
  • At 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    belle is smart =) but we all learn that we dont know =)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket