Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Monkey and The Coconuts

Three shipwrecked sailors and a monkey found themselves on an island where the only food was coconuts. They gathered coconuts all day long and decided that after sleeping during the night they would divide the coconuts up the next day.

However, during the night, one of the sailors decided to take his share rather than wait until the next morning. He divided the coconuts into three equal piles, but there was one coconut left over, which he gave to the monkey. He hid his pile and went to sleep.

Later, another sailor woke up and, not knowing what the first sailor had done, did the same thing as the first sailor, giving his left over coconut to the monkey.

Finally, the third sailor did the same thing as the other two, also giving his left over coconut to the monkey.

In the morning, when the three sailors got up, they divided the pile into three equal shares, with one coconut left over for the monkey.

**What is the least number of cocnuts the sailors collected the day before?

14 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Stuart it's ZAk and I think it is 7 coconuts to start.


    (PS: HI!)

     
  • At 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Mr.Stuart,it's me, Jess. I'm doing this for homework.O.k.,so if they gathered coconuts the day the were stranded,then went to sleep,then got
    up,then there was only yesterday to gather.So, they weren't even stranded to collect coconuts.So the answer is zero.Make sense?To me, not at first.I had to re-read to get it clear.

     
  • At 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi mr.stuart its dallas I think the anwser is 10 coconuts to start

     
  • At 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The answer is either 16 or 18!!!



    Esha

     
  • At 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My answer is 16 coconuts. I'll explain it to you later, how I got it (; This is by Mahrukh but Briana says she got 16 coconuts too.
    Love, Mahrukh

     
  • At 8:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's pretty confusing! At first I'm going to have to say that the answer is 17, because with LEFTOVER cocunuts! Well that's my answer.
    Belle

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi mr.stuart its dallas I got a new anwser 7 coconuts

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi mr.stuart its dallas I got a new anwser 7 coconuts

     
  • At 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi mr.stuart its dallas I got a new anwser 7 coconuts

     
  • At 8:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    the answer is 7




    ryan

     
  • At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nick and I(skyler)said 4

     
  • At 9:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think that the answer is 15, because it has a remainder of 3.

     
  • At 4:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How If I Felt During The Project By Nikolas Lachinski.


    I felt like it was extremely difficult and I felt like it was a very good way to engage us in a project on how to find something out with only what happened and no numbers it was a good team effort but next time it should be more of a think tank like last time so we don’t have to walk all around the room and use the bored all up I felt very dizzy and the next college question please don’t let it involve monkeys bye

     
  • At 4:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How If I Felt During The Project By Nikolas Lachinski.


    I felt like it was extremely difficult and I felt like it was a very good way to engage us in a project on how to find something out with only what happened and no numbers it was a good team effort but next time it should be more of a think tank like last time so we don’t have to walk all around the room and use the bored all up I felt very dizzy and the next college question please don’t let it involve monkeys bye

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket