Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Monkey Madness Reflection

Belle and Esha were the first to come up with the answer. The least number of coconuts the sailors could have collected was 79.

Belle got it first and then Esha did before Belle was finished showing me how she got 79.


Dallas, Serena and Nick all got "A's" because of their involvement in playing out the possible scenarios.

Remember, the success comes from the struggle. "A+" for the struggle. EVERYONE was involved and engaged. As a result you were also GROWING as you CREATED new thought cells in your heads. You literally GREW SMARTER today, to the degree you were able to stay focused and hang with the problem.

Although this was a college-level math problem, it didn't mean you weren't capable of solving it. Even if you didn't come up with the right answer, you succeeded by holding on to the "weight" of the problem, where before almost all would have put it down.


I simply acted as a mental strength coach, listening to and observing you, diagnosing your levels of comprehension like a math medical doctor.

You are the ones who allowed me to do this by your self-motivation and drive. Thank you!


I'm extremely proud of your efforts. And to show you just how much, I'm turning loose the mad monkey in a school with 1,000 lockers. Will you be able to tell me which ones will be opened and which will be closed when he's done? Look for "The Mad Monkey Sneaks into Southwest Middle School!".




***Before you move on to the next challenge, think about your experience with the coconut problem. How did you feel and what did you learn that you can bring into solving the next problem?





Labels:

16 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Mr.Stuart i have learned differnet ways to come up with an answer for the monkey thing but none of them worked. This is from Mark =)

     
  • At 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am happy that I figured out the problem! Yay!
    Belle

     
  • At 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am really glad that you gave us that math problem. It was really challenging, and it worked my brain. Thankyou Mr. Stuart for bringing that in!
    From,
    Belle

     
  • At 1:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I now know how to find answers many ways and how to get it rigtht also I now know now to do each and every one of them!

     
  • At 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am glad that Belle & I figured it out.As usual I said it how I got it before Belle did!!!
    Thanks for the math problem.
    It was fun doing it. Even though it was tricky but it worked our brains. I really happy that I figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Esha

     
  • At 1:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    thank you SO much for giving us the math problem. I thought my brain was going to explode from all the work you made us do. Even though esha and belle won i'm still glad you made us do firing work.
    thank you Briana M.

     
  • At 1:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I thought it was very challenging? I did about 5 different number problems BUT Not 1 was right. But I still liked the lesson! : - )

     
  • At 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    thank you mr.stuart for giveing us that chalgeing COLLAGE problem it was realy fun, no im serious....supriseingly I think I GREW from that problem because it was amazing how many diffrent ways i could answer it!


    thank you, Ryan

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I learned about Blood cells, bones, and Brain cells, and I want to be good for Mr. Stuart!

    Helped by: Skyler M.

     
  • At 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Reflection Of the Monkey
    I felt like pulling my hair out I was so frustrated in the beginning. Then I listened and learned when Nick and Serena were talking and started to understand and comprehend the problem when I was doing problems on the board. I took it sky- high and evaluated the problem when you showed us the 3rd hint. I learned new strategies to solve and that just because you got the problem wrong doesn’t mean that the struggle was for nothing, it just means you have to struggle harder, longer and try another problem or the same one until you get it right AND understand it.

    Written By: Amanda Jane

     
  • At 7:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    it was so fun but I thing I grew so much you wont believe it and i cant wait to do my next prank

     
  • At 8:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Mr. Stuart! This is Sandeep S. Singh and for some reason I am feeling really happy and energetic. I am thinking it's the great day I had
    in your class. Well anyway my reflection is that I thought the question was a taishita chousen which
    means " great challenge in Japanese" and it made me think of Thomas Edison
    by never kyouyo up. Oh and the kyouyo
    means " giving " in Japanese again. Also I learned that it takes
    many ways to solve a problem like that even your about one number away. Then also I learned that you shouldn't be afraid to do a way to
    you think could solve the problem even though people might consider wrong. Well that's all I have to say bye!
    Remember this was written by Sandeep S. Singh

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    To tell the truth I think it was a very challenging question and problem! I t made me think, think ,think! Thanks for the problem! Atleast it wasnt boring!

     
  • At 3:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I went on dictionary.com & searched portaying.It said one of its synonym meant acting.So I guess its acting probably that he is alive & knows what he should do.
    anonymous

     
  • At 3:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ya ya belle got it first

     
  • At 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lol Miguel!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket