Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Video ~ Meaningful Spelling Tests, Active Learning & Mutual Respect

While preparing for the final classroom speech contest, we used the misspelled words students were using, to use as the spelling words for that week. I've found that by using the words they are using, but misspelling, for spelling tests, spelling tests have much more meaning to them.

And I really enjoy seeing all the meaningful, purposeful activity in the room. They are engaged, active and excited. And if they aren't, I'll go sit by their desk (or on it as with Hunter), and bring them into the learning. His smile told me I had found something that worked for him.

I am listening to "Hey Jude" on Katie's Ipod. She had asked me if I wanted to listen to something, wanting to share something she liked. By finding a way to accept this invitation to enter her world, while still doing my job (one ear to listen to the song, one to the students) I let her know that what was important to her was also important to me.

In return, when I ask her to stop reading and work on her math or science, she quickly does. A relationship based on mutual respect has been created (in the beginning of the year I had to take her books from her, leaving her with arms crossed and a stubborn frown for several minutes)

I've had to remove all student pictures and videos. I'm sorry.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Taneicea. We miss you and think of you every day. It was a blessing to have you among us. Your courage to face your fears of speaking in front of others, your willingness to risk failure over and over again, has inspired me to name an award after you for the rest of all time. How do I get in touch with you? Where could I find you?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket