Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Math Adventures in Ancient Egypt

Using the adventures from my "Once Upon a Tree" book series, the class works together to create applications for themselves using math and science concepts. I didn't even have to call them over from recess. As each student came over to see what I was working on I would ask them what they thought about it. Before I knew it the whole class was gathered around excitedly discussing the possibilities. What's remarkable is that they pretty much did it in listening to one another and feeding off each other's ideas; very similar to the meetings I experienced in the business world. I think these kids are headed for greatness!



This is the river the characters in the story (my own children) have to cross, being careful to only step on geometrically similar figures and not congruent ones. Well done!



Belle, who at the beginning of the year had her struggles like we all do, now leads small groups in teaching them concepts. You truly fill me with happiness everytime you walk in the room. I'm thinking of flunking you just so I won't lose you next year.


"Find out how you learn best. Learning to motivate yourself and learning how you best learn are you two main priorities!" Brianna has done this superbly, not only coming up with a method that works best for her, but applying this knowledge in the classroom to learn. I'm proud of you Princess Bri.



Jessica, one of the country's top readers, in front of the classroom explaining the mathematical concept of determing area among similar geometric shapes. It is so rare for a creative thinker to also develop and excel in analytical thinking. We didn't care, did we Jess? Dream Big, go for the "impossible" and you just may achieve it! You have let me push you so hard. Thank you.
And to think not so long ago you took it to heart when you showed me a good book you were reading and I told you it couldn't be that good because it was written by a woman. I wanted you to be strong enough to form your own opinions, no matter what an authority's opinion was. Way to go!




At first I thought Summer was just drawing a picture when she was suppossed to be working. I require a lot from my students and expect them to always be working, using their brains, while I'm working with others. I didn't say anything, trusting she was "working out" in our mental gym, because that is how you develop independent learners.
Not to my surprise, she was working, and at higher-level thinking skills, going beyond knowledge and comprehension of different geometric shapes. She analyzed them from the textbook and synthesized them into a drawing.
Summer, you are a dream student. It's almost as if we've "seen" your brain growing in leaps and bounds. It's been as remarkable as you are.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Don't flunk me! I love how you want to! Just give me your number at the end of the year! Love ya!
    Belle

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those students truly are special. I really am positive that they will dream big and do big, and especially, BE BIG!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket