Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

YOU Are Not A Failure!

My job has been done. I can't remember exactly how the conversation went but I do remember being so happy it felt as if my heart filled my entire chest.

Jessica had failed to get the homework assignment correct yesterday before leaving. Even though she came to me, we failed in communicating with each other, and she failed to look at the board where the homework was clearly written.

I took my part in this failure to communicate but saw an opportunity for greatness in Jessica. "In the end" I told her, "you are responsible for your own responsibilities. No one else is." I took a chance she was strong enough to focus on what SHE could do better, which empowers her. When we put the blame on someone or something outside ourselves we give our power away.

Just to be sure, on our way to specials I walked up beside her and asked how she felt about our conversation. She said she was fine. I reminded her she wasn't a failure for failing to do something. She turned to me and gave me one of the most confident looks I've ever seen in a student and said "I know I'm not a failure."

My heart filled with happiness. You are truly in control of your own destiny Jessica. I am happy for you and so look forward to all the greatness you'll achieve in life with that attitude. You will go after your dreams in a big way because you are not afraid to fail. You are not afraid to fail because you don't see your failures as you being a failure, and you are ahead of so many adults who haven't yet learned this.

I am proud of you Jess!

*P.S. For those of you who don't know Jessica, she scored in the top 1% of the entire country on a nationwide reading test. She is truly the Best of our Best!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 9:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    what I remember is on our way to specials, you asked me why I didn't pull my hood over my face like Kenny when he failed to do an assinement. My answer was that i didn't want to feel like a failure. You told me "Youre not a failure". That was when I told you "I know".
    From,Jessica

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket