Stuart's Spectacular Students

This is dedicated to my amazing students. The goal is for each and every one of them to feel unstoppable by the time they walk out of the classroom door for the final time in May. This chronicles their journey; their own Chronicles of Self-Actualization.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, December 08, 2007

A Sad Goodbye

Two members of our class are leaving us, Daiquan and James.

Both sets of parents are moving, and I couldn't convince them to allow the guys to commute.

James has some excuse about it being too long.

Since when is going back and forth from Minnesota each day too long?

While going through my email to download pictures of these two, I came across one I had sent titled, "You're a good man Mr. Stuart".

It was what Daiquan had said to me one day as he put his hand on my shoulder.

The picture has been erased because it was taken three months ago and I hadn't found time to download it. I regret that.

But the meaning of that moment still lasts.

He had decided I was for real, and was choosing to trust me, believing that I truly believed in him.

No matter how hard we try as adults (teachers, parents, etc.), it won't have any real affect unless they see us as a trusted ally.

Lianbo (James) has been in nine schools in six years (his father is a sought-after scientific engineer).

James' mother told me he is devastated because he has never felt so happy and accepted until this year.....................Arghhhhh..............I feel too sad to write more.

It took me ten minutes to write that last line.

On the one hand these two diverse kids and their strong feelings are verifiable testimony to what is possible with the right environment.

It's also been proven that this "right environment" can include ALL of its members, when ALL are truly cared for, believed in, and led in the way that is most effective for them.

On the other hand, leaving this environment and having its members leave us hurts.......It just does.

Teaching can be a very risky business. So many people say teaching stinks. No, no....teaching is amazing.....if your willing to risk opening your heart and develop your mind, and then ask the students to do the same.

So to our two young friends, here are a few pictures and quotes to send you on your way.

I can't remember what I say in class, it just comes out, but from what former students tell me I sound something like this (thank you Jess and Ryan):






Our first teacher is our own heart.

A single disturbed thought creates ten thousand distractions.

Consider life as a sequence of cause and effect, and never rely upon luck.

Luck seeks its person.

Do not waste an entire life in the pursuit of a few golden moments.

Be full of life. Full of energy. Full of vivid aspiration.

We don't have to be the best, only do our best.

Do the right deed, and do it for the right reason.

We gain strength from the temptation we resist.

Live with intent.

We must learn who we are and the things we can do.

A little bit of worry each day adds up to years over a lifetime.

This life is for you.

A peaceful life is ours when we find work that we love to do.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    cry, cry. that's so sad. I would like probably die if that happened to me:(
    Belle

     
  • At 3:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    =[ i miss james when he laughs

     
  • At 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Who's Ryan and Jess?I haven't seen anything about them in here?


    (I just started reading the blog)

     
  • At 4:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Ryan and Jess are two students from last year's terrific class :-)

     
  • At 4:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Really? Thx, I'll have to look and see if i can find them in here.

     
  • At 11:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Speaking of last years class, i think you should do kind of a memory post thing, with a bunch of pictures of last year. I miss those kids. I followed each one of them. I really liked Dallas for his attitude on life. He was so creative, yet still crazy, but in a smart way. I liked Serena because she always had her own way to do things. I loved the whole idea of the Dream Team with Amanda, Bridget, and Jessica. They seemed so strong with their bond, always working together. I really loved all those kids, and these are just a few that i would really like to see again.

     
  • At 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Mr.Stuart Here is a song i found on the internet that i like. Click on the below adress
    www.privatehand.com/flash/elements.html copy it into the thingy and check out the song.

    -James Wang

    There once was a lady in lyde, who ate 39 apples and died. while her family lamented , the apples fermented , and made cider inside her insides.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket